| Mark during a set of KB snatches.
Training, competing and an obsession with movement have been my passions and my life
for the last 34 years. From the moment I stepped foot in a gymnastics gymnasium at age
14 I knew I had found home.
Gymnastics taught me a love of pure movement and an appreciation for what the human
body can do. As well as its frailties. It also taught me to look at movement with a
discerning, disciplined eye.
Endurance training taught me to breathe and to keep going on, no matter what. Marathons,
ultra marathons and triathlons were tests of the mind as well as the body and showed
me the power of asceticism and how much the body can really do.
Strength training and powerlifting taught me focus and power and intent. The creation
of force from a single thought and how to bring that force to bear in an instant.
And how hard heavy loads can be to a simple human frame.
Coaching and teaching have always been as natural to me as breathing. I love to help
others experience the joy of strong movement and physical courage.
And now back full circle with kettlebells. Back to swings and the weightlessness of
gymnastics, the heart pounding cardio intensity of climbing hills on a race bike and
the focused grinding strength of the powerlifts. And, best of all, the simplicity and
purity of running, where all one needs is some shoes and some road all I need is one
kettlebell and some floor.
Chief Instructor GiryaStrength
Master SFG Instructor with StrongFirst
Author: Mastering the Hardstyle Kettlebell Swing DVD
Master RKC Instructor
Author: Restoring Lost Physical Function DVD
Owner - Girya Kettlebell Training, Senior Russian Kettlebell Instructor.
2741 Middlefield Road, Suite 102, Palo Alto, Ca.
Head Trainer, No Excuses Personal Training, 905 Middlefield Rd Palo Alto Ca
Owner, World Gym, 2295 Winchester Blvd, Campbell, Ca
Owner, Elite Training Systems Personal Training
Certifications/ Course Work
- International Sports Science Association Certified Personal Trainer
- Paul Chek Certified Scientific Back Training
- Paul Chek Certified Core Conditioning Training
- DVD: Mastering the Hardstyle Kettlebell Swing, 2011
- DVD: Restoring Lost Physical Function, 2007
- Book: Training The Chest
- Runners World Publication 1983 Getting Strong Series
- Velo News: 1 article, 1981
- Iron man Magazine: 6 articles, 1979-1985
- Muscle Mag International: 2 articles, 1984/1986
- Milo Magazine: 5 articles, 1990-1997
- The Complete Mans Body Training Videos; Parts 1&2, American Sport Network, 1985-1987
- Rich Gaspari’s New Age Training Series( 4 videos)
- 5 episodes American Muscle Magazine, 1987-1989
- Head Coach, 1st Pan Am Powerlifting Championships , 2000
- Head Coach, USAPL Women National Team, World Championships Chiba Japan ,1995
- Assistant Coach, USPF Women National team, World Championships, Jonkoping Sweden,
- Personal Coach, Catherine Kelii 5X I.P.F World Championships Competitor/ Gold Medalist
and Best Lifter 2000 Pan Am Games, 1989-2000
- Personal Coach/Training partner Scott Wilson, Professional bodybuilder , AAU Mr.
America, Night Of Champions Winner, Bodybuilding Legen, 1985-1989
- Personal Coach, Sue Ann McKean Ms Olympia Finalist(3X), 1981-1985
- Head Coach, Gymnastics West Palo Alto, 1981-1984 Assistant Elite Coach; Oregon Academy
of Artistic Gymnastics, 1979-1980
Ranked in top 40 in USA 181 lb division Bench Press( 435 #) 45-49 division
at The Ironman Competition 1985. There are many ways to build strength.
After years of athletic competition Mark has concluded that Kettlebell Training
offers the best path to overall fitness, physical stability and stamina.
3rd Place Masters Nationals Powerlifting (1485 total)
3rd Place Masters Nationals Powerlifting ( 573 # squat)
2nd Place SubMasters Nationals
Competitor and consistent top 3 finisher in state level bodybuilding competitions.
Marathon, ultramarathon and triathlon competitor
University of Iowa Gymnast
Full Scholarship Freshman Scholar Athlete Award 1975
Team Captain 1976-1978
Big Ten Championship Finalist 1978,Parallel bars
Nationally Ranked High School Gymnast Florida State All Around Record 1975
State Champion ( gold in 5/6 events)
All City( 2 years) All State( 2 years)
Team Captain ( 3 years)
Athletic Directors Award for Accomplishment
© Copyright 2005 Girya
Home | Classes | About | Testimonials | Resources | Gallery | Contact